Please be sure to review all tabs above to fully understand the details of this certificate program. Application fees are non-refundable.
This program is designed to provide a comprehensive knowledge base about trauma and the needs of trauma survivors from an individual and systems perspective. There is a focus on providing client treatment through psychoeducation and stabilizations skills. The program consists of approximately 96 hours of educational content created to advance your trauma treatment skills.
Please note that this certificate program does not verify competence in the field, but rather indicates completion of the required training. Acquisition of new knowledge and skills improves your ability to deliver services.
Please be sure to review all tabs in this description to fully understand the certificate program. Application fees are non-refundable.
You will have the opportunity to learn:
- How psychological trauma contributes significantly in the development of many problems such as various psychiatric disorders, addictions, behavioral disorders, suicidal behavior, personality disorders, violent behavior and chronic health problems.
- That based on expert consensus, the three-phase model of trauma treatment is best practice: stabilization and managing responses to the trauma; resolution of the traumatic memories which includes processing and grieving the memories; and personality re-integration and rehabilitation (reconnecting with life, relationships and the world in healthy way).
- The models of trauma, the neurobiological basis of trauma, symptom criteria for Acute and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), evidence-based and other effective treatment methods.
- How to use self-care methods to minimize burnout, vicarious traumatization and compassion fatigue.
- How to implement a Trauma-Informed Care (TIC) model in an organization.
- How to Integrate intervention methods into work with individuals with co-occurring trauma/mental health and substance abuse disorders.
- Skills in working with individuals who have had repeated life events resulting in complex trauma/complex PTSD. The majority of clients you see will have complex PTSD.
- Content and skills on other trauma-specific services for youth, adults and specific populations through the elective courses you choose.
Questions about the certificate program? Please email
or call 716-829-5841.
You must have earned either a master’s degree in a clinical human service discipline or be currently enrolled in a clinical master's program; or have earned a bachelor’s degree in a human service discipline (psychology, criminal justice, sociology, nursing, social work, etc.). With a bachelor’s degree, you will also need one year of work with clients in a human service organization.
Please follow these steps to apply:
- Add this certificate program application and certificate to your cart, proceed to your cart to complete the checkout process. If you are not already logged into your account, you will be prompted to login or create an account in order to complete the purchase.
- In your account, upload your resume and proof of degree to your documents tab.
Questions about your eligibility? Please upload your application materials to your account and email or call us at 716-829-5841.
Acceptance is subject to review and approval of your application. Please allow up to two weeks for review of your application materials.
- All courses must be purchased through our online catalog, unless otherwise specified.
- You have up to 3 years to complete the program, although you may complete it in a shorter timeframe.
- To succssfully complete the course you must pass a quiz with 80% or higher to verify your acquisition of knowledge. Quizzes can be retaken.
- Depending on the courses you select, the cost is approximately $2000 - $2500. Individual course prices are subject to change.
- Please allow up to two weeks for review of application. Once you receive email notification of acceptance, login to your account to choose and purchase courses.
Access: After purchase, access to the online self-study courses never expire. It offers you two options: watch as a streaming video through your account and/or download the video and watch as often as desired. Both can be done at a time of your convenience.
Please use the following links to explore the courses in the Trauma-Informed Care and Counseling Certificate Program. Courses are offered in the following delivery methods: live in-person in Buffalo, NY, live online (webinars/webcasts) and as online self-study courses. The entire program can be completed through online self-study courses.
Preview Foundation Courses - all foundation courses must be completed. We recommend starting with The Nature and Treatment of Trauma and Self-Care.
Preview Grounding and Experiential Methods Courses - Choose one course.
Preview Skill Intervention Courses - Choose one course.
Preview Elective Courses - 42 hours of electives are required.
University at Buffalo MSW Credit Courses: Some University at Buffalo MSW credit courses may count toward the certificate program if taken within three years of the program start date
Application of any other outside courses: Select live in-person courses offered by local WNY providers have been approved to satisfy specified requirements of the certificate program. All programs approved are specified in the description or brochure of the training and on the certificate of completion. If you have taken an applicable course, email email@example.com for instructions on how to submit your certficiate and pay the $100 fee to apply it to this certificate program.
When you have completed the required coursework, please complete the evaluation in your account. Once the evaluation is submitted, we will verify completed coursework and grant access to your certificate. Please allow up to two weeks for review of your coursework.