This course is part of the Online Trauma-Informed Organization Certificate Program: Basics for All Staff that was created by the University at Buffalo School of Social Work’s Institute on Trauma and Trauma-Informed Care (ITTIC). Visit the certificate program webpage at www.socialwork.buffalo.edu/conted/otioc
Course Length: The course time needed is based on the amount of time needed to watch the course videos, as well as any required review of other internet-based videos listed in the course outline. There may also be readings provided.
Fulfills Certificate Program Requirement: _X_ Foundation Hours ___ Elective Hours
This online course offers the training in primarily a video format. All course handouts can be viewed online, saved to your computer or printed. The content offers a foundation of information regarding trauma and Trauma-Informed Care including a close look at what trauma is and its effect on individuals. Human service staff in all arenas and at all levels can benefit from this presentation. Frequently clients, students, patients, co-workers and other individuals that we encounter on a daily basis have experienced trauma. This presentation allows organization staff who work in clinical as well as non-clinical settings to develop a level of competency and awareness of trauma.
- Describe the historical perspectives of trauma;
- Explain the symptomatology and effects of trauma;
- Identify the specific components of Trauma-Informed Care;
- Recognize the effects of trauma in your own professional work.
- Introduction to trauma and its impact
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study
- Awareness of Trauma-Informed Care Guiding Principles
- Watch the internet-based video on the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study at
- Complete the three required readings located in the Materials section of the course site
Handouts: If it makes it easier for you to follow the course videos and take notes, we recommend you print your handouts from the Materials section and have them available as you watch the video modules. PowerPoint’s and other handouts are in the Materials tab of the course. They can be saved to your computer or printed.
Infographic: view and print the free infographic on Trauma and Trauma-Informed Care Infographic at http://socialwork.buffalo.edu/social-research/institutes-centers/institute-on-trauma-and-trauma-informed-care/about-us/trauma-informed-care-infographic.html
Target Audience: This course is appropriate for all levels of human service staff that need foundational information on trauma and Trauma-Informed Care.
Course Availability: You have unlimited access to the course after purchase.
ADA accommodations: If you require supports for your ADA needs in the United States, please contact us in advance by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 716-829-5841.
Customer service: We are happy to respond to any questions or concerns you may have. Please contact us by email at email@example.com or phone at 716-829-5841.
- Use the Certificate tab in your course site to take course evaluation and quiz. Based on best continuing education practice, quizzes are included to verify your acquisition of knowledge. A score of 80% is needed to pass. You may retake the quiz if you do not achieve a passing score the first time.
- Certificate of Completion: Upon successful completion of the quiz, you will be able to print your Certificate of Course Completion.
Frameable Certificate of Completion for the Online Trauma-Informed Organization Certificate Program: Basics for All Staff: If you are taking the entire certificate program and you would like to receive a frameable certificate of completion, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org when you complete the program requirements. There is an application with a $25 processing and records fee. Upon receipt of this, we will mail you a certificate of completion. Note: If you are an organization and you are having staff watch courses as a group, you may contact us for pricing on individual certificates for your employees: email@example.com or 716-829-5847.
CEUs: Refer to the credit tab for details.