Trauma-Informed Care: Working in the Family Court System
This course is part of the Online Trauma-Informed Organization Certificate Program: Basics for All Staff that was created by the University at Buffalo School of Social Work’s Institute on Trauma and Trauma-Informed Care (ITTIC). Visit the certificate program webpage at www.socialwork.buffalo.edu/conted/otioc
Course Length: The course time needed is based on the amount of time needed to watch the course videos. There may also be readings provided.
Fulfills Certificate Program Requirement: __ Foundation Hours _X__ Elective Hours
This online course offers the training in a video format. All course handouts can be
viewed online, saved to your computer or printed.
The course offers a foundation of information regarding implementation of Trauma-Informed Care in the Family Court System. This course is for non-clinical professions including judges, lawyers, advocates, and other social work or human service professionals and volunteers who interface with family court system. Benefits of implementing a trauma-informed approach in the family court system is to improve the symptomology for children and adolescents, and to decrease the frequency of re-traumatization for all involved including professionals. The benefits are not limited to this; rather they far exceed and provide a great amount of support and empowerment to all involved.
- Recognize how trauma plays a role in children and adolescent’s behavior and mental health;
- Explain the implications that trauma has on children, adolescents, families, and professionals involved in the family court system;
- Identify ways the family court system can benefit from implementing trauma-informed principles and approaches;
- Identify specific trauma-informed practices and approaches that are utilized with children and adolescents;
- Introduction to trauma-informed care in the family court system
- Trauma and its implication and prevalence with children and adolescents
- Common practices in the family court system that retraumatize children, adolescents, families, and professionals
- Self-care for family court system staff
Handouts: If it makes it easier for you to follow the course videos and take notes, we recommend you print your handouts from the Materials section and have them available as you watch the video modules. PowerPoint’s and other handouts are in the Materials tab of the course. They can be saved to your computer or printed.
Infographic: view and print the free infographic on Trauma and Trauma-Informed Care Infographic at http://socialwork.buffalo.edu/social-research/institutes-centers/institute-on-trauma-and-trauma-informed-care/about-us/trauma-informed-care-infographic.html
Recommended Reading Material:
Target Audience: This course is appropriate for all social work and other human service professionals and volunteers within family court system as well as legal professionals including judges, lawyers, paralegals, etc. that are in need of foundational information on trauma and trauma-informed care. Courses in the certificate program are suitable for all levels of professionals.
Course Availability: You have unlimited access to the course after purchase.
ADA accommodations: If you require supports for your ADA needs in the United States, please contact us in advance by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 716-829-5841.
Customer service: We are happy to respond to any questions or concerns you may have. Please contact us by email at email@example.com or phone at 716-829-5841.
- Use the Certificate tab in your course site to take course evaluation and quiz. Based on best continuing education practice, quizzes are included to verify your acquisition of knowledge. A score of 80% is needed to pass. You may retake the quiz if you do not achieve a passing score the first time.
- Certificate of Completion: Upon successful completion of the quiz, you will be able to print your Certificate of Completion with CEUs.
CEUs: The NYSED LMSW and LCSW contact hours listed on the Credit tab are included as part of your course fee and will print out on your certificate of completion.
Frameable Certificate of Completion for the Online Trauma-Informed Organization Certificate Program: Basics for All Staff: If you are taking the entire certificate program and you would like to receive a frameable certificate of completion, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org when you complete the program requirements. There is an application with a $25 processing and records fee. Upon receipt of this, we will mail you a certificate of completion. Note: If you are an organization and you are having staff watch courses as a group, you may contact us for pricing on individual certificates for your employees: email@example.com or 716-829-5847.